Progress (2016 March): Preparation of a National Spatial Plan - KENYA NATIONAL SPATIAL DATA INFRASTRUCTURE (KNSDI)
Power connection at the centre has been completed and geodetic reference points (pillars) have been constructed in Kwale, Wundanyi, Bondo and Koibatek. Tenders for acquisition of satellite imagery have been opened, creation of the Nairobi database is complete, creation of Kiambu and Mombasa databases is ongoing and construction of the KNSDI Centre is 85 per cent complete.
Legal and Institutional Reforms
- The Community Land Bill, Spatial Planning Bill, the Eviction and Resettlement Procedures Bill have been finalized and submitted to the AG.
- County Land Management Boards have been established.
- Digitizing of records through national registries
- Segmentation of community and public land ongoing
- Four Acts in tandem with the 2010 Constitution (Fifth Schedule) finalized – these include Environment and Land Court Act, Land Act, Land Registration Act and National Land Commission Act
- Ministry has embarked on the development of the Community Land Bill and has completed Eviction and Resettlement Guidelines Draft Bill. Rules and regulations to operationalize these Acts are being prepared
- Modernization of land registries - land registries are now publicly accessible. There is also an improvement in the storage and retrieval of land records in Thika, Eldoret, Bondo, Isiolo and Kitale land registries.Meru and Lamu are at an advanced stage
- Over 4.1 billion titles registered countrywide.